DuBois, Pa. – The No. 8 seed Penn State Mont Alto lost a heartbreaker as the baseball team were unable to avoid elimination against Mississippi University of the Women at the USCAA Small College World Series, losing 9-4 on Tuesday morning.
Inside the Box Score
- Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) got the start and he worked four innings while scattering four hits with four strikeouts. He gave up two earned runs as PSUMA was leading 4-2 when Colin Osborne (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport) took over in relief. Osborne gave up three earned as he was let down by his defense.
- Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) stayed hot at the plate going 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and two-RBIs.
- Three fielding errors by Mont Alto proved to be too much to overcome with the Owls capitalizing scoring seven runs. Four of which were unearned in the fifth and sixth innings.
How it Happened
- Mississippi University of the Women plated the opening run of the game in the bottom of the first frame. The Nittany Lions responded a half inning later scoring a pair of runs. Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) connected with an RBI single to left center and McClure helped himself out grounding into a fielder's choice in which Topper scored.
- The Owls tied it up at two runs apiece in the bottom of the third when Damain Benefield doubled. PSUMA once again responded as Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) drove in a pair with a rocket down the left field line to give his team a 4-2 lead.
- Mississippi University of the Women scored seven unanswered including four runs with two outs in the bottom of the fifth frame. Mont Alto could not generate any offense in their final at-bats, falling by a final of 9-4 concluding their 2019 season.
Mont Alto finished the season with an overall record of 25-20. Despite graduating seven seniors there is a solid core returning in the fall and a freshman class will be announced later this summer.