CENTER VALLEY, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's soccer team made its return to the postseason on Wednesday afternoon as it took on the No. 4 seed PSU Lehigh Valley on their home turf. Lehigh Valley scored a pair of first half goals that proved to be too much as they won a tight match by a score of 2-1. Penn State Lehigh Valley moves on to play the No. 1 seed Brandywine on Saturday.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto outshot PSULV 9-8, including a 6-2 margin in the second half.
- PSUMA also had eight corner kick opportunities compared to the homstanding Lions two.
- Both River Terry (Huntingdon, Pa. / Huntingdon Area) and Joao Pedro (Sorocaba, Brazil / Colegio Uirapuru) tallied two shots apiece.
How it Happened
- An own goal in the 11th minute gave Lehigh Valley the early momentum in the first half. They would strike for another off a Mont Alto foul as Creyn Muthard sent in a direct kick that got past keeper Austin Moore (Brockway, Pa. / Brockway Area). Lehigh Valley took the 2-0 lead into halftime.
- Mont Alto came out of the break fired up and placed three shots on net within the first five minutes of the second half. PSUMA began its late rally with a Shounak Barat (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) goal in the 65th minute. The strike within the box was assisted by Bryce Palamar (Smithsburg, Md. / Williamsport).
- PSUMA fired two final shots including one that ricocheted off the crossbar.
Mont Alto concludes the 2019 season with a 10-8-1 record. It was the most wins since the 2010 season.