SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team rallied within the first game to win in straight-sets (26-24, 25-18, 25-17) of the nightcap and this was after a 3-1 win over conference foe PSU Greater Allegany. After dropping the first set 25-17, PSUMA rolled to 25-12, 25-17 and 25-21 wins.
Penn State Mont Alto 3, Penn State Greater Allegheny 1
- Greater Allegheny caught the home team on their heals and they outhit them with 14 kills. PSUGA ended up winning the set 25-17.
- Mont Alto came alive within the second set and were sparked with a consecutive-point rally with Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) serving. The Nittany Lions beat PSUGA 25-12.
- Greater Allegheny put up a good fight in the fourth set especially at the end as they rallied from a 9-point lead to cut it to the final 25-21 score.
- Freshman Kylee Gooding (Warriors Mark, Pa. / Tyrone Area) had a standout game for Mont Alto with a match-high 28 kills.
- Sophomore's Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) and Melanie Tracey (York, Pa. / Dallastown Area) were solid in defense with 19 and 18 digs respectively.
Penn State Mont Alto 3, Christendom College 0
- The first set was very much a slugfest with both teams countering with their big hitters recording points. The teams ended up trading points all the way up until Christendom led 24-21. Mont Alto mounted a comeback that deflated its opponents with the Nittany Lions winning the set 26-24.
- An ace by Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) ended the second set with her team winning 25-18.
- Mont Alto led from start to finish building a 4-1 lead and finished the sweep 25-17 over the Crusaders.
- All together, Mont Alto finished with 33 kills on 54 total swings with 12 errors.
Up next, Mont Alto travels to Penn State Beaver tomorrow (Sept. 15) for a conference matchup at 2 p.m.