MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto baseball team used a seventh inning walk-off single and posted a convincing win in the nightcap to earn the sweep over St. Clair Community College on Friday. Mont Alto erased a four-run deficit to take game one by a 6-5 score and cruised to the 7-2 victory as they improved to 6-7 overall.
Penn State Mont Alto 6, St. Clair Community College 5
- The Nittany Lions trailed 5-2 entering the bottom of the seventh inning, but quickly loaded the bases up with no outs. Chance McClure (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) scored the first run of the inning on a passed ball. A Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) strikeout put Mont Alto in a hole down 5-3 with two outs, but during the Jermiah Younker (Hagerstown, Md. / Williamsport) at-bat Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) scored on a wild pitch before Younker doubled home Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) to even the score. Younker scored a batter later when Hunter Martin (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) lined a single to the left center field gap.
- AJ Millar (Harriusburg, Pa. / Central Dauphin) tossed six innings before being relieved by Colin Osborne (Williamsport, Md. / Williamsport) who was credited with earning the win after earning all three outs in the top of the seventh frame. Millar recorded five strikeouts and gave up three earned runs on five hits.
- Colby Black (Shippensburg, Pa. / Big Springs) scored a pair of runs as he along with Jacoby, Younker and Martin recorded RBIs.
Penn State Mont Alto 7, St. Clair Community College 2
- Martin recorded the victory on the mound for Mont Alto tossing four scoreless innings. He struck out five visitors and his lone hit given up occurred in the top of the third frame.
- Reigning PSUAC Hitter of the Week Chayse Fisher (Martinsburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) got Mont Alto off to a hot-start with a no doubt two-run homer to right field in the second inning. It was his first homer of his collegiate career.
- Fisher put PSUMA up 3-0 in the bottom of the third and Younker drove in Nick Jacoby (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) to further add to the lead.
- PSUMA added three more runs in the bottom of the fourth with the first two runs of the inning scoring on a bases clearing double off of the bat of Brady Topper (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown). He scored a batter later when Younker doubled to left center field. Matt Peck (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) made it 7-0 as he drew a bases loaded walk.
- The Skippers scored a run in the top of the fifth frame when Brandon Peck scored on a passed ball and they scored their other run in the final inning on a wild pitch.
- PSUMA held St. Clair Community College to just two hits in the win.
Mont Alto returns to action on Monday, March 18 with a doubleheader against crosstown rivals Wilson College. The games were originally slated to be played in Chambersburg, but will now be played on the Mont Alto campus.