SCRANTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's basketball team was in action on Tuesday evening and rolled to a 91-84 conference win over PSU Scranton. The Nittany Lions have won eight-straight to improve to 9-2 overall and 7-0 within the PSUAC.
Inside the Box Score
- All five starters led by Quintyn Flemister (Harrisburg, Pa. / Harrisburg) who netted 21 points finished in double figures for Mont Alto. He played outstanding defense to record six steals, five assists and three rebounds.
- JR Powe (Frederick, Md. / Thomas Johnson) finished nearly perfect from the field scoring 18 points on 8-of-11 shooting. The freshman forward grabbed eight rebounds and had a block.
- Mont Alto shot 46.9% from the field compared to Penn State Scranton who was held to 39.5% and 9-of-33 from downtown. The home team went a bit cold down the stretch.
- The Mont Alto bench outscored Scranton 16-4 as this game featured 11 lead changes and six ties.
- Rob McAndrew scored a game-high 24 points and had a double-double with 10 rebounds. Arel Lamour scored 22 points for Scranton.
How it Happened
- The second half alone featured six lead changes between Mont Alto and Scranton. It was a pretty ho-hum first half that saw Mont Alto take a 44-39 lead into halftime. PSUMA made it a point to establish the paint and John Teague (Hagerstown, Md. / North Hagerstown) scored 12 first half points.
- A Flemister steal led to a fast break layup that put Mont Alto up 48-43, but Scranton clawed back and forced PSUMA to tie it back up at 51 points apiece after Teague hit the front end of his free throws. It was truly a basket for basket affair for the majority of the second half, another fast break layup this one, which was finished off by JR Powe (Frederick, Md. / Thomas Johnson) put PSUMA up 60-55.
- Scranton forced another tie at 63-63 with 9:13 remaining in the half as PSUMA gained an 82-80 lead with a Darrius Bush (Martinsburg, W.Va. / Spring Mills) layup with 2:13 left. The basket turned out to be the one that put Mont Alto up for good as they built on that lead down the stretch including a clutch 3-pointer from the freshman forward.
Penn State Mont Alto will look to close the month of December on a high note as they welcome Penn State DuBois to town on Friday. Tip-off is slated for 8 p.m.