MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto men's soccer team remained perfect on the 2019 season with another dominating win on Sunday afternoon, this time a 4-1 victory over Mid-Atlantic Christian. Mont Alto was the only team to win both of it's matches in the First Annual PSUMA Men's Soccer Invitational this weekend.
Inside the Box Score
- Freshman goalkeeper Jaylen Johnson (Philipsburg, Pa. / Philipsburg-Osceola) earned his first collegiate win as he made six saves including a handful during a frantic beginning of the second half.
- Mont Alto was much more efficient than yesterday converting their opportunities in front of net. The Nittany Lions had four different goal scorers and placed 13 of their 19 shot attempts on target.
- Joao Pedro (Sorocaba, Brazil / Colegio Uirapuru), Bryce Palamar (Smithsburg, Md. / Williamsport), and sophomore Adrian Casey (Duncannon, Pa. / Susquenita) each earned an assist in the win.
- Mid-Atlantic Christian goalie Noah Jarmin recorded nine saves.
How it Happened
- Joao Pedro (Sorocaba, Brazil / Colegio Uirapuru) inserted his dominance in the midfield and played a through ball to forward Carter Felker (Spring Mills, Pa. / Penns Valley) who slotted the ball into the back of the net. PSUMA took the 1-0 lead into the halftime break and led in shots by a 7-5 margin.
- Pedro headed the ball to himself within the 18-yard box to give him space and placed another header into the back of the net to make it 2-1 in the 57th minute.
- Noah Bryant scored for the Mustangs at the 71:29 mark to make it 2-1.
- PSUMA had an immediate response with Tyler Shannon (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) and Josiah Chapman (Harrisburg, Pa. / Home Schooled) scoring back-to-back goals that were just under 10 seconds apart to put the game away. Each were their first collegiate goals as Chapman had a penalty kick saved within the second half.
Mont Alto will have a day to recover before returning to action when it hosts Manor College in a home match at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, September 3.