MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team earned their first win of the season on Monday afternoon with the team splitting a non-conference doubleheader against Christendom College. The Crusaders took the first matchup by a 5-2 score but Mont Alto rallied for the 9-7 victory on Monday afternoon and improved to 1-3 overall.
Christendom College 5, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- Mont Alto were arguably their own worst enemies as they committed five errors in their home debut of the 2019 season. The Crusaders took advantage of most of the PSUMA mishaps as they raced out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. The visitors used two hits and an error to gain the advantage.
- PSUMA clawed back for a run in the bottom of the frame as Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) scored on a Shaina Walker (Halifax, Pa. / Halifax Area) single.
- Christendom added a pair of insurance runs in the third frame as they took advantage of two errors and led 5-1. The Lions scored the final run of the game in the bottom of the fifth when Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) laced an RBI double. Christendom held PSUMA scoreless in the final two frames.
- Murray finished 2-for-3 at the plate and shortstop Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) managed a pair of hits as well.
Penn State Mont Alto 9, Christendom College 7
- The Nittany Lions were a hitting machine tagging 14 hits and scoring a season-high nine runs. Mont Alto managed to score at least one run in each inning except the fourth.
- They got off to a fast start as Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) and Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) each recorded RBIs in the first inning to put them up 2-0. The Crusaders responded with a pair of runs in the next half inning to even out the score. Three-straight RBI singles off of the bats of Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area), Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) and Megan Cornwell (Carlisle, Pa. / Boiling Springs) regained the lead for Mont Alto at 5-2.
- Christendom plated home four runs to give them a 6-5 advantage in the fourth inning, but the Lions once again responded well with their bats with back-to-back triples from Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) and Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring).
- Mont Alto scored a pair of key insurance runs in the bottom of the sixth to go up 9-6, but the Crusaders did make noise in the final inning scoring one run before being shutdown by Wagner in the pitching circle.
Mont Alto has a quick turnaround returning to action tomorrow for a doubleheader against Fredrick Community College. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.