MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team hosted PSU New Kensington for a doubleheader on what turned out to be beautiful Saturday afternoon. New Kensington took both games capitalizing on several PSUMA errors in the first game for the 13-3 win and took the next matchup 10-2 in five innings on the backs of a four run second inning. The losses drop PSUMA's record to 2-10 overall and 1-5 within the conference.
Penn State New Kensington 13, Penn State Mont Alto 3
- Abigail Michelucci was able to avoid several potential jams and recorded seven strikeouts to lead her team to victory within the circle. She was charged with giving up two earned runs.
- Down 3-0 entering the bottom of the second inning Meagan Smith (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) got on base with a double and scored a batter later when Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) slapped an RBI single.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) hit a double, stole third and scored on an overthrow in the bottom of the third bringing the score to 5-2.
- New Kensington scored two more runs in the third and fourth innings before plating six in the top of the sixth frame for the 13-3 final.
Penn State New Kensington 10, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- Both schools managed eight hits apiece overall and a four run top of the second inning put New Kensington up 4-0. Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) got on in bottom of the frame and scored on an error by the opposing catcher two batters later.
- Wagner took the loss in the circle for the Lions but was chased in the fourth inning and ended up giving eight runs, six of which were earned. New Kensington gained a 10-1 lead going into the bottom of the sixth inning as they really ran the bases well with 11 combined stolen bases.
- PSUMA scored the final run of the game when Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) scored after singling to begin the inning.
The Lions will conclude their season series with PSU New Kensington on Tuesday, April 2. Game times on the road are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. as these games were rescheduled from March 29th.