NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team dropped game one against PSU New Kensington 10-2 in six innings before falling 8-2 in the second game.
Penn State New Kensington 10, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) went 2-for-3 at the plate and scored a run in the second inning on a Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) sacrifice fly.
- The Lions other run was scored in the second inning as well when Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) smashed her first home run of the season.
- PSUMA went down in order to begin the game and New Kensington got off to the hot-start with four runs in the bottom of the frame. Trailing 4-2 entering the third, Mont Alto wasn't able to muster any offense within the inning as New Kensington scored four more runs.
- An RBI single off of the bat of Calle Zmenkowski put New Kensington up 9-2 and they were able to get the walk-off win on a Becca Wilhelm single in the bottom of the sixth.
Penn State New Kensington 8, Penn State Mont Alto 2
- Mont Alto grabbed an early 1-0 lead in the second inning when a Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) single plated Wagner from second base.
- New Kensington responded with a five run bottom half of the inning as they notched four hits and were aided by a PSUMA error.
- The homestanding Lions scored two more runs in the fourth and added an insurance effort in the sixth inning. Mont Alto scored the final run of the game when Meagan Smith (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) touched home on a Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) single.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) finished the nightcap 2-for-3 with a double. She took the loss in the pitching circle as she was credited with giving up eight runs on nine hits.
Mont Alto (2-12) has a quick turnaround returning to action tomorrow with a non-conference doubleheader against Christendom College. Game times are slated for 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.