MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team exploded for a season-best 21 hits in the 16-11 win over PSU Greater Allegheny and carried momentum into the second game of Sunday's doubleheader winning 7-3. Mont Alto improves to 6-14 overall and 5-7 within the PSUAC.
Penn State Mont Alto 16, Penn State Greater Allegheny 11
- Mont Alto got off to the hot-start plating four runs in the top of the first inning as they were the away team this afternoon in both games of the doubleheader. Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) grounded into a fielder's choice in which made it 1-0. In the following at-bat Megan Cornwell (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) rocketed a double to right center field that plated a run. Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim) made it 4-0 after two runs scored on her single through the infield.
- PSUGA scored three runs in the bottom half of the inning, but Mont Alto added another run when Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) singled to center field. Greater Allegheny responded again and tied it up at five runs apiece following the conclusion of the third inning.
- The score remained tied until Mont Alto scored five runs on five hits in the top of the fifth frame. Dara Murray (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle Antrim), Megan Cornwell (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle), Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) and Krista Feaser (Shippensburg, Pa. / Faith Tabernacle) each recorded RBIs within the inning. The runs scored within the inning ended up being the winning margin as both teams scored six runs in the final stanza.
- Mont Alto scored its six runs on seven more hits, each of which occurred with one out. The final run of the inning was scored when Kyah Rucker (Harrisburg, Pa. / Susquehanna Township) drew a bases loaded walk.
Penn State Mont Alto 7, Penn State Greater Allegheny 3
- The second game of the doubleheader was much more competitive as PSUMA scored all of its runs within the first three innings. The Nittany Lions plated three runs in opening inning. Helayna Thomas (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) drove in a pair in the second inning to give her team a 5-2 advantage. The junior played sound defense all weekend long filling in as a catcher.
- PSUMA added two more insurance runs in the third inning with Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) drawing a bases loaded walk as well as Delaney Wagner (Lewisburg, Pa. / Lewisburg Area) singling again which plated Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville).
- McCauslin earned both victories on Sunday from the pitching circle to improve her record to 5-9. She gave up just two earned runs in the second game.
Mont Alto returns to action on Wednesday, April 10 with a home doubleheader against Penn State Hazleton. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.