By: Frank Maira, Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports Information Director
MONACA, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team traveled to PSU Beaver on Tuesday and won the first game by a 7-2 score, but a late rally in the nightcap fell just short as Beaver prevailed 7-6 to split the doubleheader. Mont Alto improved to a conference best, 8-2 overall record and are 7-1 in the PSUAC West.
Penn State Mont Alto 7, Penn State Beaver 2 (F)
- Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford) shook off early nerves as both Beaver runs were scored in the bottom of the first inning. After giving up the home run, she settled in impressively and limited them to just four hits overall in seven innings of work. The freshman also had seven strikeouts, her second most in any start this season.
- Trailing 2-0, Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) stepped to the dish in the third frame and tied the game up with her eighth career homer. PSUMA made it 3-2 an inning later when Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va. / Jefferson) produced an RBI double.
- PSUMA had a great final inning of play scoring three runs including an RBI double from reigning PSUAC Hitter of the Week McKenna Sas (Canyon County, Calif. / Canyon County) as well as a two-RBI single from Leah Blount (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area).
Penn State Beaver 7, Penn State Mont Alto 6 (F)
- Mont Alto got off to a flying start when Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) blasted another homer to begin the nightcap. Beaver tied it up in the bottom half of the frame and added three more runs to establish a 4-1 lead after two innings of play.
- Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) made it 4-2 with her RBI double that drove in Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford). The Nittany Lions then made it 6-4 when McKenna Sas (Canyon County, Calif. / Canyon County) sent a two-run homer over the outfield fence.
- The seventh inning rally fell just short with Emily Sicinski (Westminster, Md. / Westminster) making it 7-6 after her RBI double, but the final out of the game was reported one batter later.
Mont Alto returns to action on Friday, April 2 with a home doubleheader against PSU DuBois. Game times are slated for 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.