By: Frank Maira, Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports Information Director
MONT ALTO, Pa. – The 2021 version of the Penn State Mont Alto softball team have had a taste of late inning heroics and it once again shined on Wednesday when they won the first game 4-2 and then saw its third walk-off hit of the season to win the nightcap by a 10-9 score. With runners on the corners and with just one-out, Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va. / Jefferson) grounded into a fielder's choice that plated the winning run.
Penn State Mont Alto, 4, Penn State Greater Allegheny 2 (F)
- The visitors plated a run in the top of the third and fourth innings, before the Mont Alto offence came alive trailing 2-0 in the bottom of the fourth frame.
- Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) doubled to wake the Nittany Lions bats and crossed the plate when Leah Blount (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) sent a double of her own to left field. Chelsea Cover (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) crossed home plate when Haley Dawson (Greencastle, Pa. / Greencastle-Antrim) went opposite field with an RBI double.
- Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) made it 4-1 when she doubled to right center field as Dawson crossed home plate. Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford) earned her sixth win of the season in the pitching circle striking out five while scattering six hits.
Penn State Mont Alto 10, Penn State Greater Allegheny 9 (F-9)
- Clutch at-bats from Mont Alto in the bottom of the first led to a five-run inning spurt that saw them make the most of four hits within the inning including a two-RBI single from Chloe Sullivan (Spring Grove, Pa. / Spring Grove).
- Emily Bittinger (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) hit her spots and struck out seven batters before running into trouble in the fourth inning when she let up three runs as PSUGA trailed Mont Alto, 7-4.
- The visitors put up four runs in the top of the sixth inning plating four runs to tie the score at 8-8. Neither team scored in the final inning as the game was sent to extras.
- The Mont Alto defense prevailed as they played sound defense, which allowed for them to use their bats to utilize the runner starting at second base to begin the ninth inning. Blount scored on the fielder's choice from Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va. / Jefferson).
Mont Alto has a quick turnaround hosting Penn State New Kensington for a doubleheader on Thursday at 2 p.m. and 4 p.m.