By: Frank Maira, Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports Information Director
Schuylkill Haven, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team closed out its regular season on Tuesday as they traveled to PSU Schuylkill for a pair of non-conference games. It took a huge sixth inning rally to earn the 6-5 comeback win before falling in the nightcap by a 10-0 score. The Nittany Lions improved to 20-6 overall, it's best record under Coach Heath Newell as the team also captured the No. 1 seed in the PSUAC West for the postseason tournament in Penn State DuBois (May 9-10).
Penn State Mont Alto 6, Penn State Schuylkill 5 (F-7)
- Mont Alto got on the board first when Leah Blount (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area) scored on an RBI single off the bat of Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va. / Jefferson) in the top of the second inning.
- The score remained 1-0 until the bottom of the third when Schuylkill pushed across a pair of runs. Melly Torrales upped the advantage to 3-1 when she hit an RBI double into the gap.
- Mont Alto wore their rally caps in the sixth inning, scoring five runs on three hits to go up 6-3. The bases were quickly loaded with an RBI single coming from Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford), along with a patient bases loaded walk by McKenna Sas (Canyon County, Calif. / Canyon County) followed by a bases clearing double from Skye Herring (Pine Grove, Pa. / Pine Grove Area).
- Schuylkill would go on to score another run off of Dell in the bottom half of the sixth inning and the freshman worked herself out of trouble to earn a strikeout to conclude the seventh frame for 6-5 final score.
Penn State Schuylkill 10, Penn State Mont Alto 0 (F-5)
- After a scoreless first inning, Penn State Schuylkill exploded for five runs in the bottom of the second inning that forced starter Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) out of the game. They scored five runs on seven hits and were assisted by a PSUMA error.
- The Mont Alto bats just didn't fire up in the second game as Chloe Sullivan (Spring Grove, Pa. / Spring Grove) finished a team-best 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Leading 5-0, Schuylkill scored another five runs in the bottom of the fourth inning although just three of the runs were earned runs.
With the No. 1 seed in the PSUAC West, Mont Alto is slated to take on the winner of Penn State DuBois and Penn State Hazleton at Heindl Memorial Park in DuBois, Pa. on Saturday, May 9th as part of the PSUAC Postseason Tournament.