Posted: May 10, 2021
By: Frank Maira, Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports Information Director
DuBois, Pa. - The Penn State Mont Alto softball team won both of their games on Monday and will now play in the PSUAC Championship on Tuesday. The Nittany Lions walked it off against PSU New Kensington with a 2-1 win and advanced to Tuesday with a thrilling 10-6 victory over PSU DuBois.
Penn State Mont Alto 2, Penn State New Kensington 1 (F)
- This was a nail biter throughout with the score remaining deadlocked at zero runs apiece to force the extra eighth inning of play. New Kensington plated a run in the top half of the frame, but in the bottom half of the inning a liner off the bat of Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) scored a pair of runs for Mont Alto.
- This was Hall's first collegiate walk-off as the freshman infielder finished 2-for-4.
- Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford) hit her spots exceptionally well and the lone run was unearned while she also struck out eight opponents.
Penn State Mont Alto 10, Penn State DuBois 6 (F)
- Mont Alto scored first in the bottom half of the first inning with a two-RBI single from Skye Herring (Pine Grove, Pa. / Pine Grove Area). DuBois tied it up at two runs a piece in the next half inning and went up 3-2 in the third inning.
- A tough at-bat was turned in by Karli Snyder (Leetown, W.Va. / Jefferson) who walked with the bases loaded and Chloe Sullivan (Spring Grove, Pa. / Spring Grove) cleared the bases with a two-RBI single to center field that made it 5-3.
- PSUMA continued to churn out runs offensively scoring another two runs in the bottom of the fourth frame on three-straight two-out hits.
- Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) turned in a quality start in the pitching circle earning the win for her team while scattering 12 hits as she only allowed four earned runs.
- The Nittany Lions put the game on ice adding three more runs in the bottom of the fifth inning to go up 10-4.
- Chelsea Cover (Waynesboro, Pa. / Waynesboro Area), Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) and Skye Herring (Pine Grove, Pa. / Pine Grove Area) each had multi-hit games with Mont Alto totaling 12 hits a team.
Mont Alto will look to dethrone Penn State Brandywine as the PSUAC Champions as they will need to win two games on Tuesday with the first game slated to be played at 9:30 a.m.