MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team gave the Penn State University Athletic Conference leading Brandywine a run for its money on Saturday hanging close for all four quarters before succumbing by a score of 67-55.
Inside the Box Score
- Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) stuffed the stat sheet with 14 points, seven rebounds, six assists and four steals.
- Senior Alexis Shaffer (Hagerstown, Md. / South Hagerstown) was strong in the paint pouring in 14 points and had her ninth double-double of the season, with 14 rebounds. Shaffer currently leads the PSUAC in rebounding with 14.9 boards per game.
- Mont Alto held Brandywine (9-5, 5-0 PSUAC) to 27 percent shooting from the field, but was out-rebounded 56-49 and gave up 20 second chance points in the loss.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto held a 10-9 lead after the end of the first quarter thanks to a clutch basket from Angel Schoonover (Woodhull, N. Y. / Jasper-Troupsburg) and a 3-pointer from Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic).
- The homestanding Lions fell behind in the second quarter, but rattled off a 5-0 run to close the quarter and trailed 30-28 into the halftime break.
- Mont Alto (3-10, 0-5 PSUAC) capitalized on the pace of the game and tied it up at 34 points apiece after a Karley Coleman (Hanover, Pa. / Delone Catholic) layup, which forced a Brandywine timeout. The teams traded baskets to end the quarter.
- Brandywine went on a 7-0 run to open the fourth (54-44), which forced a Mont Alto timeout. Playing in their second game in less than 24 hours Brandywine's pace and offensive rebounding finally tired out Mont Alto as the visitors held on for the 67-55 win.
- Brandi James scored a game-high 20 points and 11 rebounds for Brandywine.
- Mont Alto shot 33 percent from the floor and were held to only two made 3-pointers.
Penn State Mont Alto will travel to PSU Hazleton in a one-game getaway on Tuesday, January 16. Tipoff is scheduled for 6 p.m.