CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team had its chances down the stretch both in regulation and in overtime before falling to nearby Wilson College by an 80-74 score. It was an action packed affair with both schools opening up the 2019-20 season on Friday evening as four different athletes finished in double figures for Mont Alto.
Inside the Box Score
- Sophomore forward Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) nearly had a double-double finishing with nine boards to go along with 24 points.
- Samira Murphy and Jordyn Day who scored 25 points and 21 points apiece paced Wilson College.
- PSUMA finished the game shooting 37.7 percent from the field and were 8-of-22 from downtown. The Nittany Lions also forced 24 turnovers in the loss.
- Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring), Grace Banfe (Greencastle, Pa. / Shalom Christian Academy), and Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) also scored 10 or more points for Mont Alto.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto opened the game with a high-energy press defense. Wilson's Jordyn Day hit a pair of early 3-pointers, but the run was halted with a Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) fast break bucket that forced a timeout with the Phoenix leading 12-6.
- Neither team shot particularly well from the field in the first quarter. PSUMA closed the period on a six-point run that was singlehandedly sparked by Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) who had eight within the quarter. The Nittany Lions trailed 21-18.
- Mont Alto gained its first lead of the game at 27-26 after a Newell bomb from downtown that was connected with 5:37 remaining in the half. The Phoenix took the 34-33 lead into the break.
- Wilson established a 49-38 lead to open the 3rd quarter that was capped off by a Samira Murphy layup. The Nittany Lions stormed back with Grace Banfe (Greencastle, Pa. / Shalom Christian Academy) and Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) scoring a combined seven-straight points to make it 51-47.
- Martin grabbed a steal and converted on a fast break layup in the fourth quarter that cut the deficit to one at 53-52 with seven minutes remaining. The teams traded buckets over the closing minutes and PSUMA's defense forced back-to-back stops with under a minute remaining to force the overtime period after it was tied 60-60.
- In overtime, Mont Alto connected on a jumper in the paint that put them ahead by two, but Jordyn Day was able to answer back on the next possession with a huge three that put the Phoenix back on top by one. The Nittany Lions reeled off another run this time a 6-0 run that put them ahead by three with just over a minute and a half remaining. The Phoenix connected on a bank three-point shot and held on for the 80-74 win.
Up next, the women's basketball team will travel and play Christendom College on Saturday, November 16 at 1 p.m.