FRONT ROYAL, Va. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team had a quick turnaround, but continued to play well and scored a dominant 70-31 win over Christendom College on Saturday. The Nittany Lions improved to 1-1 and will open Penn State University Athletic Conference (PSUAC) this upcoming Tuesday against PSU Allegheny.
Inside the Box Score
- Mariah Martin (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) once again paced Mont Alto with 23 points. She was a perfect 7-for-7 from the free throw line.
- Freshman Grace Banfe (Greencastle, Pa. / Shalom Christian) had another solid game tallying 12 points including 3-of-7 from downtown.
- Sophomore guard Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) scored 16 points in the win as the Mont Alto bench also chipped in 10 points.
- The Nittany Lions shot 38 percent from the field compared to the Christendom Crusaders who were held to just 11-of-47.
- PSUMA tallied 15 assists and held a 50-48 advantage in rebounds.
How it Happened
- PSUMA really got off to a good start again with its solid defense, which really never allowed Christendom to get into the game. The Nittany Lions forced 23 turnovers that led to 18 points. Mont Alto took a 39-17 lead into halftime.
- Mont Alto established its largest lead of the game within the 3rd quarter with a 39-point advantage at 53-26 after a Banfe trey. The Crusaders were never really able to mount a comeback from there as PSUMA ended up outscoring the home team 31-14 within the second half.
Tip-off against Penn State Allegheny at home is slated for 6 p.m.