NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team traveled to take on New Kensington on Saturday in a PSUAC showdown. New Kensington had a big fourth quarter to steal a win away from Mont Alto by a score of 52-40. With the loss PSUMA falls to 1-3 overall and 0-2 within the conference.
Inside the Box Score
- It was a cold shooting afternoon for both schools with Mont Alto connecting on 18-of-61 shots from the field. New Kensington actually shot a bit worse at 16-for-57, but held a 39-27 advantage in rebounds.
- New Kensington's bench chipped in 26 points with the bulk of that scoring coming from Kierra Rose and Erika Finn.
- Meagan Smith (Littlestown, Pa. / Littlestown) ended as the leading scorer for Mont Alto with 10 points. She also grabbed a team-leading seven rebounds.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto opened the game energized on defense and went on a 15-4 run to open the game that was capped off by a Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) jumper in the paint.
- The game featured just three lead changes with Mont Alto holding a steady lead for the majority of the game. The Nittany Lions took a 24-15 advantage into the halftime break.
- New Kensington began playing better basketball within the third quarter and cut the deficit to just five points.
- The 4th quarter proved to be pivotal with New Kensington outscoring PSUMA 24-7 within the period. The homestanding Lions held on for the 52-40 final.
The women's basketball team will be back in action on Tuesday, December 3 as they will take on Penn State Lehigh Valley. Game time is slated for 6 p.m.