MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team was a bit shorthanded on Saturday with Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) making her first collegiate start as a goalkeeper for the first half of the match against Hollins University. The Green and Gold scored once within the first 45 minutes and scored the eventual game-winner 1:03 into the second half.
Inside the Box Score
- Hollins peppered the net for most of the afternoon recording nine of its 11 shots on target.
- It was a hot afternoon with PSUMA playing with 10 players and officals did stop the match within the second half for a weather related water break.
How it Happened
- Hollins University capitalized on a PSUMA turnover in the 21st minute with Madisen Charles chipping the ball past Shirley into the back of the net.
- The eventual game-winning effort was scored on a penalty kick with Stephanie Savoy drilling the shot past Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) who was in goal for the entirety of the second half.
- Shirley made up for her yellow card as a good run from the midfield saw her earn a penalty shot after she was fouled within the box. She slotted the ball into the back of the net at the 83:10 mark.
- It was just too little to late as the Nittany Lions ran out of gas and didn't record another shot on goal.
Mont Alto will remain home for their next match when it hosts Central Penn on Wednesday, September 4. Kickoff is slated for 5 p.m.