HAZLETON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team tied PSU Hazleton 1-1 in the regular season finale on Saturday afternoon. With the tie, Mont Alto secured the No. 2 seed in the PSUAC Playoffs and will host Hazleton Saturday, October 26. The winner of the semifinals matchup will play in the championship at West Turf Fields in University Park on Oct. 30 at 4 p.m.
Inside the Box Score
- Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) recorded a career-high 14 saves in the tie.
- Mont Alto managed 21 shots, but were outshot by the homstanding Lions by a 32-21 margin.
How it Happened
- Both goals were scored in a matter of minutes of each other with Emma Wyllie putting Hazleton up 1-0. Her teammate Katie Oldziejewski sent a through ball for Wyllie who cut back and beat Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) at the 43:46 mark.
- Just over one minute later Mont Alto equalized on a fantastic individual goal from reigning PSUAC Player of the Week, Sarah Mackey (Norfolk, Va. / Granby). Mackey dribbled through the midfield and whipped a shot from the left flank that found the back of the net.
- Neither team was able to get another goal for the remainder of the match. Both teams had their chances especially in the overtime periods. Hazlton hit the crossbar three times and Mont Alto forced their keeper Roxxy Dacosta into five saves.
Mont Alto (8-5-1, 4-1-1 PSUAC) hosts Hazleton in the semifinals of the four-team single team elimination tournament for the conference championship on Oct. 26.