SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team lost a close four-set match to Wilson College on Thursday evening. The Phoenix took the first two sets by scores of 28-26, 25-19 before the Nittany Lions clawed back by winning the third set but Wilson came back and won the match in the fourth set 25-20.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto had its most kills within the third set with 13. Reigning PSUAC/USCAA Player of the Week Kylee Gooding (Warriors Mark, Pa. / Tyrone Area) was the top hitter for PSUMA with 12 kills. She chipped in 25 digs on the defensive end of the floor.
- The Phoenix tallied 45 kills on 138 attempts with Anika Eigen-Zucchi leading the team with 18 kills.
- Every set was close between the two schools.
How it Happened
- It was very much back and forth between Mont Alto and the Phoenix before Wilson established a three-point lead at 21-18. PSUMA clawed back to force overtime but the Phoenix gritted out the first set by a 28-26 score.
- The second set saw Mont Alto shoot itself in the foot with a few misplays and communication errors. Wilson took the game by a score of 25-19.
- Mont Alto overcame an early 6-1 deficit and used three-straight service aces from Katie Muse (Hagerstown, Md. / Boonsboro) to close out the set 25-22.
- Muse finished with a game-high seven aces and had a pair within the fourth set but the Phoenix capped off the night taking the 25-20 fourth set victory.
Mont Alto (9-4, 4-1 PSUAC) returns to conference play against PSU DuBois on Sunday, Sept. 22. Game time from Bream Gym on the campus of Gettysburg College is 1 p.m.