GETTYSBURG, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto volleyball team rebounded from a PSUAC defeat to Great Allegheny with a dominating 3-0 win over the University of Valley Forge on Sunday.
Inside the Box Score
- 13 different athletes saw time for Mont Alto (16-5, 6-2 PSUAC) who have now won seven of their last eight matches.
- Mont Alto won 25-11, 25-19 and 25-17 to earn the sweep.
- Both Kimmy Harker (Huntingdon, Pa. / Huntingdon Area) and Kylee Gooding (Warriors Mark, Pa. / Tyrone Area) totaled seven kills each.
- Sophomore Rachel Manikowski (Mercersburg, Pa. / James Buchanan) had a big defensive afternoon with a team-high 11 digs.
- Mackenzie Householder (Williamsport, Md. / Cumberland Valley Christian) had a game-high four aces, including scoring the set point via an ace to win the first game.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto got things rolling within the middle of the set after trading points with the Patriots to open the first set. PSUMA scored it's easiest win of the afternoon at 25-11 and were greatly assisted by the key aces by Householder and Breanne Byers (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area).
- It was much closer in the second set as Valley Forge played much cleaner volleyball and made the most of several PSUMA misplays and mistakes. Mont Alto rallied to go up 2-0.
- Valley Forge held all momentum during the early stages and it wasn't until a timeout at 12-12 that Mont Alto locked down and grinded out the sweep with nine kills within the set.
Penn State Mont Alto return to conference action with a matchup against Penn State Beaver at the Heiges Field House in Shippenburg on Wednesday, Oct. 9.