By: Frank Maira, Assistant Director of Athletics/Sports Information Director
NEW KENSINGTON, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto softball team unfortunately blew a lead to drop the first game 12-6 before splitting the doubleheader winning the nightcap on Saturday by a 9-3 score. PSUMA remains atop the PSUAC West with a 14-4 overall record and 13-3 mark in conference.
Penn State New Kensington 12, Penn State Mont Alto 6 (F)
- PSU New Kensington had an early 2-0 lead, but it was erased in the top of the fourth inning with Mont Alto scoring 4 runs on three hits and were assisted by a fielding error. Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) doubled to drive in a run and Kirsten Dell (Hanover, Pa. / New Oxford) followed up with a double of her own that put PSUMA up 3-1. The other run was driven in by Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg).
- Mont Alto added two more runs in the fourth frame that made it 6-3.
- It was an 8-run bottom of the sixth frame that was Mont Alto's undoing as the home team forced two pitching changes. Calle Zmenkowski earned the win in the pitching circle for New Kensington to improve to 3-5 in 2021.tat
Penn State Mont Alto 9, Penn State New Kensington 3 (F)
- Katie McCauslin (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) tossed another gem on Saturday following up on her other start against New Kensington earlier in the week. This time she got the complete game win scattering 12 hits with three punchouts.
- The Mont Alto offence was alive all game long smashing season-best 17 hits in the win. The Nittany Lions were powered by a 4-for-5 performance from Brooklyn Wagner (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) who is now hitting .422. She drove in three RBIs along with a double and triple.
- Mont Alto had scored a run or more apiece in the second innings and beyond to put the game out of reach.
- Destiny Hall (McConnellsburg, Pa. / McConnellsburg) and Emily Sicinski (Westminster, Md. / Westminster) each had a pair of RBIs in the victory.
Penn State Mont Alto will have Sunday off before traveling to Penn State Fayette on April 12 for a doubleheader.