YORK, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team had a strong pair of first and fourth quarters, outscoring PSU York 37-25, but the homestanding Lions played strong defense in the middle quarters for the 76-51 win.
Inside the Box Score
- Charity Miller (Greencastle, Pa. / James Buchanan) hit for a pair of 3-pointers in the first quarter and scored eight of her 12 points in the first quarter.
- Alexis Shaffer (Hagerstown, Md. / South Hagerstown) had an efficient game off the bench for Mont Alto shooting 8-for-14 from the floor for a team-high 19 points. The senior forward added 15 rebounds for her eighth double-double of the season.
- Mont Alto shot 66.7% from the free throw line and the bench out-scored PSU York 25-11.
- Rebekah Adams (York, Pa. / Central York) scored a pair of baskets and added eight rebounds, three assists and a steal.
How it Happened
- Charity Miller's (Greencastle, Pa. / James Buchanan) eight first quarter points powered Mont Alto to a 20-14 first quarter lead.
- PSU York out-scored Mont Alto 23-8 in the second, but Mont Alto still held a 28-27 halftime lead.
- PSU York's tough defense continued in the third holding Mont Alto to 1-of-13 shooting from the field and six points overall. York scored 28 points within the quarter and built a 31-point lead at one point.
- Alexis Shaffer (Hagerstown, Md. / South Hagerstown) had a strong fourth quarter to lead the Nittany Lions back scoring nine points on 4-of-5 shooting from the field. She also added three offensive rebounds within the quarter.
- Penn State York held a 49-37 rebounding advantage.
- Emily Colon matched a season-high and game-high 30 points for PSU York.
Penn State Mont Alto (3-9, 0-4 PSUAC) return home in hopes of its first PSUAC victory of the season against Brandywine on Saturday, January 13 at 2 p.m.