MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's basketball team turned the ball over a season-high 43 times with visiting PSU Beaver running away for a 75-36 win on Friday evening. PSUMA have now lost four-straight and will have the opportunity to rebound in a quick turnaround game with Penn State Fayette.
Inside the Box Score
- Beaver knocked down 37.5 percent of its shots from 3-points range and were led in scoring by Mikayla Womer who scored a game-high 17 points. Womer was a perfect 7-for-7 from the field off the visitors bench.
- Emily Keener scored 14 points with PSU Beaver capitalizing on turnovers scoring 40 points off the PSUMA mistakes.
- Mont Alto shot 29.8 percent from the field and Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) scored a team high 12 points.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto started cold and Beaver was able to grab a 9-0 lead. Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) netted two-straight buckets that made it 9-4 with just over five minutes left in the first quarter. Beaver played full court pressure defense that Mont Alto really never was able to crack as they were held scoreless for the remainder of the first quarter. The visiting Lions took a 21-4 lead into the second period.
- Beaver scored another 21 points in the next quarter while holding PSUMA to only three points and had a 42-7 lead at halftime.
- The second half picked up where the first ended with Beaver building a 49-7 lead that forced a PSUMA timeout. Out of the break, Mont Alto managed to score 13 points and went into the final quarter trailing 62-20.
- Mont Alto played better in all phases of the game in the final quarter and outscored Beaver 16-13, but the visitor's lead was too much to overcome.
The Nittany Lions will host Penn State Fayette on Saturday, December 7. Game time is slated for 1 p.m.