MONT ALTO, Pa. – Brianna Banks scored a hat-trick for visiting Penn State Brandywine on Saturday and it was enough to power her team to the 3-1 win over the PSUMA women's soccer team. It was the first conference outing for both schools with Mont Alto falling to 3-5 overall.
Inside the Box Score
- Brandywine outshot Mont Alto by a 21-9 ratio, but the visiting Lions only placed 11 shots on target. Seven of the shots on goal and 13 overall came from Brianna Banks.
- Banks scored all three goals, two of which were unassisted and completed the feat by the 35th minute of the first half.
- Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) settled into the game with the goalkeeper finishing with eight saves for Mont Alto.
- Banks is now tied for first within the USCAA in goals, while Mont Alto's Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) is tied for second in assists (5) within the association.
How it Happened
- Brandywine's senior forward dribbled the ball from the midfielder and deeked the defense before bending the ball into the back of the net at the 4:27 mark.
- Her team peppered the net several times again before Banks scored in the 26th minute when she finished an Averie Florschutz cross.
- Brandywine went up 3-0 when Banks completed her hat-trick on another unassisted effort.
- Mont Alto was much more competitive within the second half and had spells where they dominated the ball within Brandywine's final third of the field. The team made the most of it when Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) blasted her shot to cut the deficit to 3-1. The goal was assisted by Kaitlin Provard (Mont Alto, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) and proved to be the final of the game in the 68th minute.
Mont Alto (3-5, 0-1 PSUAC) will have the week to prepare for Penn State Lehigh with the Pink Out match slated for 1 p.m. at the PSUMA Soccer Field on Sept. 28.