MONT ALTO, Pa. – The Penn State Mont Alto women's soccer team grabbed the momentum early and stormed to a 10-0 win over Penn State Lehigh Valley as the program celebrated its Pink Out on Saturday afternoon.
Mont Alto honored breast cancer and all cancer survivors along with the men's program in its annual "Pink Out" as they honored survivors of cancer during a halftime presentation of the women's match and both programs wore pink uniforms. The team's also held a silent auction all afternoon long where $1,069 will be donated to the Cumberland Valley Breast Care Alliance.
Inside the Box Score
- Mont Alto tallied a season-high 10 goals due in large part to recording 33 shots, with 20 of them on frame.
- Jesime Freet (Carlisle, Pa. / Carlisle) got the start in goal with Natalia Molina (Fredrick, Md. / Urbana) and Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) also seeing time in net. Each keeper made a save.
- Mont Alto improved their record to 4-5 overall and 1-1 within the PSUAC.
- Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) dished out two assists while Sarah Mackey (Norfolk, Va. / Granby), Micki McCutcheon (Etters, Pa. / Red Land), Shania Atherton (St. Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) and Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) also dishing out an assist each.
How it Happened
- Mont Alto started the scoring early with Kara Newell (Shippensburg, Pa. / Shippensburg) netting off a free kick at the 3:44 mark. Not even a minute later, Newell picked out Maddie Shirley (Biglerville, Pa. / Biglerville) who made a nice run through the midfield and tapped the ball past the keeper to her left.
- PSUMA scored three more goals within the first half including two off of the right foot of Tori Stouffer (Orrstown, Pa. / Cumberland Valley Christian) who scored both within five minutes of each other. The sophomore now leads the team with 17 points on a team-best seven goals.
- Madison Bishop (Newville, Pa. / Big Spring) scored at the 37:11 mark to round up the scoring in the first half.
- Freet netted a goal in the second half on a nice shot off a Mackey assist. Danessa Myers (Saint Thomas, Pa. / James Buchanan) scored before Tamara Quispe-Ramon (Chambersburg, Pa. / Chambersburg Area) scored a brace.
- MaryAnna Black (Mechanicsburg, Pa. / Cumberland Valley) joined the party when her shot trickled into the back of the net in the 82nd minute.
Mont Alto will host Hagerstown Community College on Tuesday, Oct. 1 for a non-conference match at 4 p.m.